A sitemap is a file that lives on your web server and lists all of the relevant URLs your website is carrying. Your sitemap helps search engine web crawlers or users understand how your website is built so they can evaluate and rank it more easily. One of the more popular and easier format to create a sitemap is through XML.
You can create a sitemap (XML) in any of the two ways:
- Using a Sitemap Generator like InSpyder, SiteCrawler, XML-Sitemaps etc.
- You can build your own sitemap in XML format in the following steps:
- Start a new document in a text editor like Notepad or TextEdit.
- Create your sitemap template. A sample template is given below. You can edit this template as required for your website:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
- You can use the optional tags which makes crawling easier for the Google bot like <lastmod>, <changefreq>, <priority> etc.
- Save the file as an XML file.
- Upload the sitemap to your website by following the below steps:
- Now login as admin to your Learnyst account, and head to “Settings” in admin dashboard.
- In the next page click on SEO and click on the plus sign, to upload the .xml sitemap. For more details on how to add Sitemap.xml please refer this support article - http://support.learnyst.com/manage-your-school-settings/seo/how-to-add-sitemap-to-your-online-teaching-website
- Submit your sitemap to the search engines like Google. To do so:
- Go to Google Search Console and sign up- https://search.google.com/search-console/welcome
- Choose Sitemaps under Crawl and click on the Add/Test Sitemap button.